Summary of 5 CNC tool selection considerations
Compared with traditional machining methods, CNC machining has stricter requirements on tools, especially in terms of rigidity and durability. The tool and tool holder should be selected correctly according to the machining capacity of the machine tool, the performance of the workpiece material, the machining process, the amount of cutting and other relevant factors. The general principle of tool selection is: high precision, high strength, good rigidity, high durability, stable size and easy installation and adjustment. Ruizheng Precision Tools Co., Ltd. reminds buyers to choose a shorter tool holder to meet the processing requirements, in order to improve the rigidity of the tool.
There are five main types of metal cutting tool materials currently used: high speed steel, hard alloy, ceramic, cubic boron nitride, and polycrystalline diamond.
1. According to the requirements of CNC machining for tools, the general principle of selecting tool materials is to use carbide tools as much as possible. As long as the machining conditions allow the use of carbide tools, high speed steel tools are not required.
2. Ceramic tools are not only used for processing all kinds of cast iron and different steel materials, but also for processing non-ferrous metals and non-metal materials. Use a ceramic insert to use a negative rake angle in any case. In order to prevent the knife from collapsing, the cutting edge can be blunt if necessary. Ceramic knives are not effective under the following conditions; processing of short parts; intermittent cutting and heavy cutting with large impact; processing of elemental materials such as bismuth, magnesium, aluminum and titanium and their alloys (prone to affinity, resulting in cutting edges) Peeling and chipping).
3. Both diamond and cubic boron nitride are superhard tool materials. They can be used to machine workpiece materials of any hardness. They have high cutting performance, high machining precision and small surface roughness. Generally, cutting fluid is available.
Polycrystalline diamond blades are generally cited for processing non-ferrous and non-metallic materials.
Cubic boron nitride inserts are generally suitable for processing chilled cast iron, alloy structural steel, tool steel, high speed steel, bearing steel with a hardness of more than 450 HBS, and nickel-based alloys, cobalt-based alloys and high-cobalt powder metallurgical parts with a hardness of not less than 350 HBS.
4. From the structural application of the tool, CNC machining should use the insertable machine clamp indexable insert as much as possible to reduce the replacement and presetting time after the tool wears.
5. Use coated tools to improve wear resistance and durability.